Higher Education Development Project
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Afghan policy makers perceive higher education as a vital engine of growth and development. The higher education system produces a pool of high level human resources, including policy makers, administrators, managers, entrepreneurs, engineers, medical personnel, highly skilled technicians, as well as qualified teachers and academics, that are essential for economic development. The availability of such a pool of well-educated human resources will be of central importance for the overall future development of the country. Recognizing this, the Government of Afghanistan and the World Bank (WB) have agreed to support the higher education sector through a Higher Education Operation that will succeed the previous Strengthening Higher Education Project (SHEP). The new Higher Education Development Project (HEDP) will support the overall Government’s own effort to expand and strengthen its higher education sector.
The proposed project contains two components: (1) A program component that finances strategic initiatives to develop the higher education sector. The strategic initiatives are (a) increasing participation in universities in priority degree programs for national economic development, (b) modernizing and enhancing the quality and relevance of teaching and learning; (c) expanding the professional qualifications and skills of academic and technical staff; (d) strengthening governance, quality assurance and accreditation; and (e) stimulating development orientated research. And (2) a program operations and technical support component that would support project coordination, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, research activities, human resource development for academic managers and administrative and technical staff, policy studies, beneficiary satisfaction surveys, communications and policy dialogues. The Director of the Operations and Monitoring Support Team (OMST) in the Ministry of Higher Education (MoHE) will coordinate and facilitate the implementation of HEDP in close collaboration with its relevant departments.
TECHNICAL SUPPORT TO THE ACADEMIC AND MANAGEMENT OF HIGHER EDUCATION
Universities in Afghanistan have very limited governance and management capacity as decisions about academic, administrative and financial development are largely taken centrally in the Ministry of Higher Education. It is therefore suggested that HEDP will support and strengthen the capacity of the public universities to carry out their teaching, research and advisory activities. Developing effective governance and management practices will underpin their long-term development. In 2013, the cabinet passed a by-law providing greater financial autonomy to universities, especially the power to raise and use funds through research and consulting services, and extension courses. This is an important step, albeit small, in changing the regulatory framework towards increased decentralization of higher education governance. In this context, the HEDP would assist universities to develop managerial skills needed at the university level, such as planning, budgeting, administration, procurement, as well as financial management and monitoring, to benefit from the by-law. Institutional development of universities will furthermore be strengthened through a Mentors Program. Mentors are senior academics and their principal role will be to support institutional development and achievement of the goals and targets set in the university development plans.
Main duties and responsibilities of the Technical Officer (Quality Assurance and Accreditation) are to:
- Support and cooperate with the Senior Quality Assurance and Accreditation Manager in Quality Assurance and Accreditation activities
- Provide technical assistance to Senior Quality Assurance and Accreditation Manager and Quality Assurance and Accreditation Directorate of MoHE in the area of design, implementation and monitoring of Quality Assurance Units and its activities.
- Provide technical support to universities and higher education institutions during the requirement gathering, implementation and monitoring and post-implementation utilization monitoring of Internal Quality Assurance Units
- Liaise and coordinate QAA projects activities with universities, implementing contractors and Procurement Directorate, MoHE.
- Coordinate and support quality assurance and accreditation capacity building activities in universities and Quality Assurance and Accreditation Directorate of MoHE.
- Provide administrative and logistical support for the day-to-day activities of Quality Assurance and Accreditation theme of OMST/HEDP.
- Assist the Senior Manager in planning and implementation of external review process of public and private universities
- Maintain all communications with University Operations Coordinators for day to day activities
- Prepare official correspondences and letters (Maktoob, Pishnehad etc.) and timely deliver them to relevant staff at MoHE and universities
- Communicate with the local and external partners for arrangement and launch of training, workshops and conferences
- Act as contact person between Senior Quality Assurance and Accreditation Manager and Universities’ leadership, Quality Assurance and Accreditation Directorate, project implementing contractors and University Operations Coordinators
- Ensure all quality assurance and accreditation activities are documented, archived, and recorded in an organized manner
- Liaise with the Communication Specialist and provide timely updates on the QAA related events and activities
- Perform such other duties, appropriate to the level of appointment as assigned from time to time by the Senior Quality Assurance and Accreditation Manager.
The position is for the duration of the project, subject to satisfactory performance. There will be a probation period of three months. Annual performance evaluations will be organized by the supervisor. Feedback will be obtained from the MoHE for the performance evaluation.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
The candidate should have at least a bachelor degree in management, social sciences or relevant discipline. Must have a minimum 3 years continuous experience in the area of management and academic coordination/administration with national or international organizations.
- Be able to communicate effectively both in the written and oral mode (Email Communication is a must)
- Be culturally sensitive and possess good interpersonal skills
- Be a self-starter and be able to work without supervision
- Be well organised, reliable and able to deliver quality outcomes on time.
- Possess critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Must be willing to travel throughout Afghanistan
- Fluent in English, Pashto, and Dari (spoken and written)