About HEDP / MoHE
Afghan policy makers perceive higher education as a vital engine of growth and development. The higher education system produces a pool of high level human resources, including policy makers, administrators, managers, entrepreneurs, engineers, medical personnel, highly skilled technicians, as well as qualified teachers and academics, that are essential for economic development. The availability of such a pool of well-educated human resources will be of central importance for the overall future development of the country. Recognizing this, the Government of Afghanistan and the World Bank (WB) have agreed to support the higher education sector through a Higher Education Operation that will succeed the previous Strengthening Higher Education Project (SHEP). The new Higher Education Development Project (HEDP) will support the overall Government’s own effort to expand and strengthen its higher education sector.
The proposed project contains two components: (1) A program component that finances strategic initiatives to develop the higher education sector. The strategic initiatives are (a) increasing participation in universities in priority degree programs for national economic development, (b) modernizing and enhancing the quality and relevance of teaching and learning; (c) expanding the professional qualifications and skills of academic and technical staff; (d) strengthening governance, quality assurance and accreditation; and (e) stimulating development orientated research. And (2) a program operations and technical support component that would support project coordination, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, research activities, human resource development for academic managers and administrative and technical staff, policy studies, beneficiary satisfaction surveys, communications and policy dialogues. The Director of the Operations and Monitoring Support Team (OMST) in the Ministry of Higher Education (MoHE) will coordinate and facilitate the implementation of HEDP in close collaboration with its relevant departments.
OPERATIONS AND MONITORING SUPPORT TEAM
Support under OMST will cover coordination, technical assistance (TA), monitoring and evaluation, research and policy studies, and communication. The technical assistance and capacity building activities of this component will assist the MoHE to implement the development initiatives of the NHESP-II. Policy studies could include tracer studies of graduates to analyze their job search and labor market experience, as well as beneficiary satisfaction surveys of staff and students of institutions and programs supported by HEDP. Resources for communication would enable higher education authorities to disseminate development initiatives to political authorities, policy makers, academics, students, and the general public. The team would help MoHE to fine tune policy reforms, such as piloting and evaluating innovative approaches to promote female enrolment in priority programs. Component 2 of the Projectwill also finance the incremental operating costs of an Operations and Monitoring Support Team (OMST) in the MoHE.
The Scholarship Officer will work under the direct supervision and reported to the “Senior Manager for Academic and Managerial Development”. He/she is responsible for communication and commencement of scholarship for candidates under HEDP and MOHE procedures. He will ensure thorough compliance with the rules and regulations of the government of Afghanistan and the World Bank.
|Date Posted:||14 Jan 2017||Reference:||HEDP/MoHE/002|
|Closing Date:||02 Feb 2017||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Females/Males|
|Functional Area:||Management||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per NTA Salary Scale Policy|
|Contract Type:||Short Term||Years of Experience:||4 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||0 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||No|
|Probation Period:||3 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
The main duties and responsibilities of the Scholarship Officer are:
1. The Scholarship Officer will work under the direct supervision of the Senior Manager for Academic and Managerial Development and will regularly report to the Senior Manager for Academic and Managerial Development in the HEDP main office at the Ministry of Higher Education
2. Communicate with HEDP scholarships candidates including the current cohort and previously sent cohorts
3. Be able to effectively solve all the relevant issues of the HEDP scholarships candidates
4. Coordinate all the relevant matters with the line manager and Technical Officer within the Ministry and their respective universities
5. Coordinate with all members of scholarships cohorts through direct visits, phone/Skype calls, and emails regarding their issues
6. Making sure that all the support documents of scholarships candidates are evaluated/signed if necessary
7. Update the Senior Manager of Academic and Managerial Development regarding the status of candidates on a daily basis
8. Coordinate with scholarships candidates and coordinate with the line supervisor in case of any issues with universities or any other planned activities
9. Be able to understand and communicate effectively all the visa requirements and the process of all the countries where respective candidates are traveling
10.Assist HEDP scholarships applicants in filling forms including university admission forms, visa forms and other supporting and necessary documents
11.Be able to work on weekends (Thursday/Friday) if need be
12.Acts as a representative of HEDP with respective universities
13.Prepare reports and presentations if needed
14.Undertake any other duties assigned by the line manager/HEDP leadership
Travels to Provinces
Require Travels to Provinces
- Ability to speak, read and write excellent English, produce reports in English for regular and continuous presentations and computer literate;
• Ability to interact with senior academics and administrative staff in the universities;
• Ability to work with and be a partner of a team of diverse backgrounds;
• Ability to work efficiently and to meet deadlines;
• Ability to function effectively in a team environment inspiring trust and cooperation of other team members; and
• Strong communication, negotiating skills and good interpersonal relations
Bachelor Degree in Project Management, Business Administration, Public Relation and Public Administration or related Discipline and having Master degree will be an advantage. At least 4 years of relevant experience. Experience in a national or international organization would be an advantage. Ability in computer software relevant to the field, office package and internet usage.
Afghanistan – Kabul: PROVINCIAL CENTER (KABUL)
Bachelors Degree, Management
Interested national candidates should submit their applications in writing to Administration & HR Department Higher Education Development Program (HEDP) at the Ministry of Higher Education located in Karta-e-4, MoHE, Kabul, Afghanistan or e-mail their application (indicating in the subject line the Vacancy Announcement number and the title of the post applied to) to the Following email address.
Only short-listed candidates whose applications correspond to the above criteria will be contacted for written test / interview, Females are highly encouraged to apply.