Higher Education Development Project
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Afghan policy makers perceive higher education as a vital engine of growth and development. The higher education system produces a pool of high level human resources, including policy makers, administrators, managers, entrepreneurs, engineers, medical personnel, highly skilled technicians, as well as qualified teachers and academics, that are essential for economic development. The availability of such a pool of well-educated human resources will be of central importance for the overall future development of the country. Recognizing this, the Government of Afghanistan and the World Bank (WB) have agreed to support the higher education sector through a Higher Education Operation that will succeed the previous Strengthening Higher Education Project (SHEP). The new Higher Education Development Project (HEDP) will support the overall Government’s own effort to expand and strengthen its higher education sector.
The proposed project contains two components: (1) A program component that finances strategic initiatives to develop the higher education sector. The strategic initiatives are (a) increasing participation in universities in priority degree programs for national economic development, (b) modernizing and enhancing the quality and relevance of teaching and learning; (c) expanding the professional qualifications and skills of academic and technical staff; (d) strengthening governance, quality assurance and accreditation; and (e) stimulating development orientated research. And (2) a program operations and technical support component that would support project coordination, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, research activities, human resource development for academic managers and administrative and technical staff, policy studies, beneficiary satisfaction surveys, communications and policy dialogues. The Director of the Operations and Monitoring Support Team (OMST) in the Ministry of Higher Education (MoHE) will coordinate and facilitate the implementation of HEDP in close collaboration with its relevant departments.
INFORMATION MANAGEMNET FUNCTION
Data and information management as part of the Monitoring and evaluation is very important for the successful implementation of HEDP. The project will have a strong emphasis on data maintenance and timely collection of data from the counterpart in the Ministry of Higher Education. Monitoring the achievement of the results framework of the MoHE’s higher education program, including the intermediate outcomes, disbursement linked indicators (DLIs), and outcomes, is directly related to the data collection and maintenance.
The Information Management Officer will be responsible for assisting the OMST to implement sound data management and maintenance systems of all different project activities with a particular attention to the project beneficiaries’ data as well as enrollment and academic data provided by the Statistics department within the Ministry of Higher Education, under the direct supervision of the Senior Monitoring and Evaluation Manager, OMST.
Followings are the main duties and responsibilities of the Information Management Officer:
- Ensure timely collection, management and dissemination of data for updating the project development indicators and project intermediate outcome indicators;
- Prepare consolidated data report/guideline pager for data description, when necessary;
- Ensure that the compiled data is consistent and correct;
- Organize hard/soft copies of all information/data collected;
- Perform regular field visits to ensure the quality of data collected by programs and to verify the accuracy of reported data, when needed;
- Ensure the data maintenance of the HEDP beneficiary database;
- Assist Ministry of Higher Education in implementing Higher Education Information management System (HEMIS);
- Ensure the data maintenance and the quarterly update of the HEDP Fixed Asset Inventory;
- Assist Database and Reporting unit of Planning and Policy Directorate in maintaining their database;
- Assist HEDP in delivering capacity building activities in universities and MoHE in the area of information and data management;
- Research, develop, and implement new services that can improve efficiency of the HEDP data and information, through the use of information systems; and
- Promote and support data use and dissemination of project information among project staff.
The position is for the duration of the project, subject to satisfactory performance. There will be a probation period of three months. Annual performance evaluations will be organized by the Supervisor. Feedback will be obtained from the OMST and MoHE for the performance evaluation.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
A University degree from a scientific or quantitative discipline such as computer science, software/computer systems engineering, information technology, statistics, econometric, mathematics or any other related fields. At least 4 years of relevant experience in Databases, Promoting Process Improvement, Presenting Technical Information, Database Management, Data Maintenance, Operating Systems, and Information Security Policies knowledge in operating a statistical software such as SPSS or R, in development project, University or a public Sector is required.
- Ability to speak, read and write excellent English, and produce reports in English for regular and continuous presentations;
- Ability to interact with senior academics and administrative staff in the university system and Ministry of Higher Education;
- Good analytical skills.
- Ability to tailor language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- Ability to work with and be a partner of a team of diverse backgrounds;
- Ability to work efficiently, and to meet deadlines;
- Ability to function effectively in a team environment inspiring trust and cooperation of other team members;
- Strong communication, negotiating skills and good interpersonal relations;
- Good quantitative skills;
- Software development experience and ability to work with statistical software; and
- Ability to travel to provinces, when required.