REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
Country: Islamic Republic of Afghanistan
Name of the Project: Higher Education Development Program (HEDP)
Implementing Agency: Ministry of Higher Education
Grant No: TF 0A0730
Project ID: P146184
Assignment Title Consultancy Services for the Development of Beneficiaries Database for HEDP
Reference No: HEDP-C-6
This is for the Higher Education Development Program (HEDP) to develop a beneficiary database. The document serves as a concept note outlining the need for the database, initial requirement and functionalities of the database, expected results or outputs, proposed timeline for implementation and estimated budget.
The main objective of the beneficiary database for HEDP is to develop a standard web based centralized database for beneficiaries benefiting from scholarship, outcome based education and student learning, research, strategic plan development, quality assurance and accreditation, technical and leadership trainings and gender components of the project.
The database will also support the HEDP and MoHE in decision making, identification of beneficiaries and monitoring and follow-ups with beneficiaries. The database will serve as a data source for the MoHE and will help MoHE directorates work with the program beneficiaries and monitor them beyond the project life span. The centralized beneficiary database will also help reduce data redundancy and data duplication issues by coordinating and recording related activities.
The HEDP plans to hire a consulting firm to develop a beneficiary database for the following components and subcomponents:
- Research Grants and Promotion
- Group and Individual research grantees
- Modernizing and Enhancement the Quality of Teaching and Learning (OBE-SCL and ICT)
- Master Trainers/OBE-SCL Champions
- Trainees (Faculties Trained by Master Trainers)
- Faculty Deans and Department Heads
- Scholarship Awardees
- Technical, Leadership and Management Capacity Building Program Beneficiaries
- University Management/Leadership
- University Technical Staff
- Quality Assurance and Accreditation
- Internal Quality Assurance Leads
- External Peer Reviewers
- QAAD and QAA Board members
- Strategic Plan Development
- Gender, Social and Environmental Safeguard
- Gender Focal Points Training
- Student Orientation
- MoHE Staff Training
The database will be developed for the HEDP and will be handed over to Database Department/MoHE upon completion of the project in 2020.
The HEDP staff will be the main users of the database while different roles for each staff member will be assigned. The user interface of the database will be available in English and one of the national languages (Dari or Pashto).
In terms of infrastructure and hosting services, the database system will be hosted online and regular backups will be taken to avoid data loss.
In terms of sustainability, an annual maintenance contract will be signed with a service provider to provide the required support whenever needed. Development of user manual and staff training shall be part of the database development project.
The database shall meet the requirement of HEDP and shall provide all the required functionalities needed by HEDP. The beneficiary database shall provide the following minimum functionalities:
- Development of web-based application (Database): Develop a comprehensive web database, including but not limited to:
- Develop a beneficiary profile which includes beneficiary code, name,
age, gender, academic position, university, faculty, department, contact and Email.
- Develop a project database which incorporates indicator and activity wise data entry and reporting sheets. Work with existing data collection tools and fit into those tools into Database
- Develop interactive home page for database
- Develop digital forms for data entry. Furthermore, those digital forms should
have features that will guide data collector or data entry operator by giving ‘help text’
that provides guidance on what is expected for each question.
- The service provider shall ensure the digital forms are as short as possible that is collecting data that is useful for decision making processes and reporting
- The service provider will develop digital forms in such a way so that forms have data
validation rules to enhance data quality
- Ensure database security and authentication by implementing secure authentication and user and user-permission management
- The database shall feature role-based authentication and shall provide access to different sections of the database based on specified role
- The database shall feature data analytics through visual dashboards where collected information is automatically visualized through charts
- The database shall feature data import functionality to import data from other sources such as spreadsheet files
- Database shall allow users with assigned privileges to export data to other usable formats such as spreadsheet (CSV, XLS), PDF reports and generate graphics (charts)
- Design and development of the system must adhere to modern best practices of software systems. It must be secure, scalable and high performance
- The proposed system must be designed using open-source technologies including server-side and client-side technologies
- Technical support and maintenance of web-based application: Apart from development of web database, the service provider shall provide ongoing backup support and troubleshooting service to ensure the system properly maintained.
- Domain purchase and web hosting of web application: The database should be hosted online. Virtual private server fulfilling the optimum requirement of the web application shall be leased for a minimum of one year including maintenance. The domain purchase and web hosting will be done by the service provider in consultation with HEDP team. The service provider shall take all necessary steps to procure a domain name and web hosting as per requirement of HEDP. HEDP will provide all necessary paper documents to them to procure the domain name. This database will be public only if HEDP gives permission to make it publicly accessible.
- Provide training to the HEDP and MoHE staff: The service provider will provide training technical and functional training on how to manage, maintain use the application. They will also develop a user manual and a technical manual for the database.
- Customized beneficiary database with web based interface
- The interface shall support data entry, data retrieval and graphs generation
- Password protected login and roles for different type of users
- Data import and export to/from the database
- Import of the existing beneficiary data to the beneficiary database
- Graphs and report generation
- Records printing and exporting functionality of information
- System administration and data backup functionality
Expected Results and Deliverables
Expected results and deliverables of the project are:
- Assessment and Development of Inception report of how the database will be developed including technical specifications and timeline
- Development of Database and First Draft Presentations to HEDP (final inputs from HEDP will be incorporated in final stage)
- Finalize development of database
- Import the existing beneficiary data of various components of the project to the database
- Train HEDP staff in database usage, data entry, retrieval, data import and export, and graph generation
- Develop user manual and technical manual for database users and administrators
- Develop a backup system for the database
Qualifications Criteria of the Consultancy Firm:
- A record of minimum 4 years of experience in Afghanistan in consultancy services in the field of developing Database and web applications
- Experience of designing and managing the database for minimum 4 projects with providing references
- Experience in at least one modern object-oriented programming language
Proven record of financial and institutional reliability of the firm.
Ministry of Higher Education now invites eligible consultants (consulting firms) to indicate their interest in providing the services. Interested consultants must provide information as below indicating that they are qualified to perform the services; interested consultants must provide information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services (brochures, description of similar assignments, experience in similar conditions, availability of appropriate skills among staff, etc.). Consultants may associate to enhance their qualifications.
Protocol and comes with a predefined amount that will be released once the indicator is achieved.
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grants by World Bank Borrowers current edition (“Consultant Guidelines”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
Consultants may associate with other firms in the form of a joint venture or a sub-consultancy to enhance their qualifications.
A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the selection based on the consultants qualification (CQS) procedures set out in the World Bank’s Guidelines selection and employment of consultants under IBRD loans and IDA credits and Grants by World Bank Borrowers-Jan, 2011”. The Guidelines are available at www.worldbank.org/procure.
Interested Consultancy Firms may obtain further information at the addresses as given below during office hours from 09:00 to 16:00 hours Saturday through Wednesday. Please download the detailed ToRs from the web link/s. http://www.npa.gov.af, www.mohe.gov.af, www.hedp.af/ & Afghan Announcement Newspaper.
Expressions of interest must be delivered in a written form to the address below (in person, or by e-mail) by 30, June, 2018 at 14:00 local time.
Ministry of Higher Education
Higher Education Development Program
Hamed Babak, Procurement Officer
Kart-e-Char, Kabul, Afghanistan
Cell: +93 786 140 131