Senior Strategic Planning & Research Manager
About HEDP / MoHE
Afghan policy makers perceive higher education as a vital engine of growth and development. The higher education system produces a pool of high level human resources, including policy makers, administrators, managers, entrepreneurs, engineers, medical personnel, highly skilled technicians, as well as qualified teachers and academics, that are essential for economic development. The availability of such a pool of well-educated human resources will be of central importance for the overall future development of the country. Recognizing this, the Government of Afghanistan and the World Bank (WB) have agreed to support the higher education sector through a Higher Education Operation that will succeed the previous Strengthening Higher Education Project (SHEP). The new Higher Education Development Project (HEDP) will support the overall Government’s own effort to expand and strengthen its higher education sector.
The proposed project contains two components: (1) A program component that finances strategic initiatives to develop the higher education sector. The strategic initiatives are (a) increasing participation in universities in priority degree programs for national economic development, (b) modernizing and enhancing the quality and relevance of teaching and learning; (c) expanding the professional qualifications and skills of academic and technical staff; (d) strengthening governance, quality assurance and accreditation; and (e) stimulating development orientated research. And (2) a program operations and technical support component that would support project coordination, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, research activities, human resource development for academic managers and administrative and technical staff, policy studies, beneficiary satisfaction surveys, communications and policy dialogues. The Director of the Operations and Monitoring Support Team (OMST) in the Ministry of Higher Education (MoHE) will coordinate and facilitate the implementation of HEDP in close collaboration with its relevant departments.
OPERATIONS AND MONITORING SUPPORT TEAM
Support under OMST will cover coordination, technical assistance (TA), monitoring and evaluation, research and policy studies, and communication. The technical assistance and capacity building activities of this component will assist the MoHE to implement the development initiatives of the NHESP-II. Policy studies could include tracer studies of graduates to analyze their job search and labor market experience, as well as beneficiary satisfaction surveys of staff and students of institutions and programs supported by HEDP. Resources for communication would enable higher education authorities to disseminate development initiatives to political authorities, policy makers, academics, students, and the general public. The team would help MoHE to fine tune policy reforms, such as piloting and evaluating innovative approaches to promote female enrolment in priority programs. Component 2 of the Projectwill also finance the incremental operating costs of an Operations and Monitoring Support Team (OMST) in the MoHE.
The position is for the duration of the project, subject to satisfactory performance. There will be a probation period of three months. Annual performance evaluations will be organized by the Director of the OMST. Feedback will be obtained from the MoHE and universities for the performance evaluation.
|Date Posted:||28 Aug 2017||Reference:||HEDP / MoHE / 014|
|Closing Date:||17 Sep 2017||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Education||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per NTA Salary Scale Policy|
|Contract Type:||Short Term||Years of Experience:||5 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||0 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||Yes|
|Probation Period:||3 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
The main duties and responsibilities of the Strategic Planning and Research Manager are to:
• Support Academic and Managerial Staff Development Program and assist universities to prepare five year rolling institutional development plans
• Assist universities to monitor the implementation of the five year rolling institutional development plans
• Assist universities to annually update the five year rolling institutional development plans
• Assist universities to prepare proposals for the HEDP funded research projects
• Assist universities to implement the HEDP funded research projects
• Identify areas where substantive and procedural autonomy can be progressively devolved to universities
• Coordinate a capacity building program to help the MoHE to strengthen academic, managerial and fiduciary governance at the public universities and higher education institutions in Afghanistan
• Develop a Mentor’s Program for the public universities and higher education institutions. The Mentors will support the universities in developing and implementing their development plans and interact closely with the senior management of universities on all aspects of university governance through regular visits and written reports
• Form and train “a pool” of Mentors from Afghanistan and overseas
• Assist the public and private universities and higher education institutions in undertaking “governance self-reviews” to identify strengths and also any gaps and areas for development that need to be addressed
• Collaborate with the Deputy Director Human Resource Development and the Staff Development Centers to develop training courses in HRD skills needed at the university level, such as leadership, planning, budgeting, administration, procurement, financial management, and monitoring, technical work for IC centers and laboratories, librarian training, maintenance of infrastructure and equipment, especially with greater devolution of power and autonomy to universities
• Assist the MoHE in the formulation of a regulatory framework for higher education that would strengthen the substantive and procedural autonomy of the universities
• Develop and help implement a template for university development plans, self-assessment of governance and a web-site for sharing experiences of good governance across universities
• Provide progress reports every quarter to the Director of the OMST and the World Bank when required
Travels to Provinces
Require Travels to Provinces
- Knowledge of key regulations in the sector pertaining to this position
• Ability to speak, read and write excellent English, and produce project reports in English for regular and continuous presentations
• Ability to interact with senior academics and administrative staff in the university system
• Ability to work with and be a partner of a team of diverse backgrounds
• Ability to work efficiently, and to meet deadlines
• Ability to function effectively in a team environment inspiring trust and cooperation of other team members
• Strong communication, negotiating skills and good interpersonal relations
• Computer literate
A senior academic/administrator with at least a Master’s degree and a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in universities. A Ph.D. would be an added qualification. Experience in World Bank funded higher education or other relevant donor funded projects will be an advantage. Experience in university governance would also be an advantage.
Afghanistan – Kabul: PROVINCIAL CENTER (KABUL)
Masters Degree, Education
Interested national candidates should submit their applications in writing to Mohammad Shafi Qasimi, Administration officer ( HEDP) at the Ministry of Higher Education located in Karta-e-4, MoHE, Kabul, Afghanistan or e-mail their application (indicating in the subject line the Vacancy Announcement number and the title of the post applied to) or contact him through cell phone on 079-7057479 for clarification.
Please note that applications received after the closing date will not be given consideration. Only short-listed candidates whose applications correspond to the above criteria will be contacted for interview
Females are highly encouraged to apply.