Senior Education & Technology Manager
About HEDP / MoHE
Afghan policy makers perceive higher education as a vital engine of growth and development. The higher education system produces a pool of high level human resources, including policy makers, administrators, managers, entrepreneurs, engineers, medical personnel, highly skilled technicians, as well as qualified teachers and academics, that are essential for economic development. The availability of such a pool of well-educated human resources will be of central importance for the overall future development of the country. Recognizing this, the Government of Afghanistan and the World Bank (WB) have agreed to support the higher education sector through a Higher Education Operation that will succeed the previous Strengthening Higher Education Project (SHEP). The new Higher Education Development Project (HEDP) will support the overall Government’s own effort to expand and strengthen its higher education sector.
The proposed project contains two components: (1) A program component that finances strategic initiatives to develop the higher education sector. The strategic initiatives are (a) increasing participation in universities in priority degree programs for national economic development, (b) modernizing and enhancing the quality and relevance of teaching and learning; (c) expanding the professional qualifications and skills of academic and technical staff; (d) strengthening governance, quality assurance and accreditation; and (e) stimulating development orientated research. And (2) a program operations and technical support component that would support project coordination, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, research activities, human resource development for academic managers and administrative and technical staff, policy studies, beneficiary satisfaction surveys, communications and policy dialogues. The Director of the Operations and Monitoring Support Team (OMST) in the Ministry of Higher Education (MoHE) will coordinate and facilitate the implementation of HEDP in close collaboration with its relevant departments.
OPERATIONS AND MONITORING SUPPORT TEAM
Support under OMST will cover coordination, technical assistance (TA), monitoring and evaluation, research and policy studies, and communication. The technical assistance and capacity building activities of this component will assist the MoHE to implement the development initiatives of the NHESP-II. Policy studies could include tracer studies of graduates to analyze their job search and labor market experience, as well as beneficiary satisfaction surveys of staff and students of institutions and programs supported by HEDP. Resources for communication would enable higher education authorities to disseminate development initiatives to political authorities, policy makers, academics, students, and the general public. The team would help MoHE to fine tune policy reforms, such as piloting and evaluating innovative approaches to promote female enrolment in priority programs. Component 2 of the Projectwill also finance the incremental operating costs of an Operations and Monitoring Support Team (OMST) in the MoHE.
The Education Technology Manager will support the work of the Directorate of Academic Affairs and will have the following duties and responsibilities:
The salary for this position is based on NTA salary scale grade B.
Date Posted: 26 May 2018 Reference: HEDP / MoHE / 049
Closing Date: 08 Jun 2018 Work Type: Full Time
Number of Vacancies: 1 Gender: Any
Functional Area: Education Open Ended: NO
Nationality: Afghan Salary Range: As per NTA Salary Scale Policy
Contract Type: Long-term Years of Experience: 3 Year(s)
Contract Duration: 0 Year(s) & 0 Month(s) Extension Possibility: Yes
Probation Period: 3 Months
Duties and Responsibilities
• The Educational Technology Manager is responsible for supporting effective and meaningful uses of technology in teaching and learning at public universities in Afghanistan. The position fosters the successful design, implementation, management, and evaluation of educational technology solutions across curricula.
• The Manager will work directly with faculty to help develop high-quality curriculum through the implementation of instructional design and technology solutions.
• The Manager will build a network community of dedicated faculty across universities under HEDP for incorporating technology resources into their degree programs through curriculum design, teaching-learning methods, education material, and assessment strategies.
• The Manager will work together with the above-mentioned faculty network community and coordinate and facilitate capacity building for academics and post-graduate students to incorporate technology resources into their degree programs through curriculum design, teaching-learning methods, education material, and assessment strategies.
• The manager shall establish a strong working relationship with Ministry of IT and Telecommunication for extension of IT and internet services to the MoHE and as well as all universities.
• Finally, the Manager should work in close relationship with AfgREN and the IT Department in MoHE to make sure that the education content development is coordinated with the sufficient connectivity and computers.
Travels to Provinces
Require Travels to Provinces
• Ability to exhibit strong commitment in the relevant discipline
• Ability to speak, read and write excellent English, and produce project reports in English for regular and continuous presentations
• Ability to interact with senior academics and administrative staff in the universities
• Ability to work with and be a partner of a team of diverse backgrounds
• Ability to work efficiently and to meet deadlines
• Ability to function effectively in a team environment inspiring trust and cooperation of other team members
• Strong communication, negotiating skills and good interpersonal relations
•A Master degree holder with at least 3 years of related experience focusing on educational technology, including supporting faculty in the design, development, and integration of educational technologies
• Experience in designing, developing, and supporting faculty in the use of web-based instructional resources and tools for education, including one or more Learning Management Systems
•A broad understanding of current web standards & tools and the interest in and ability to quickly learn new technical skills is essential
•Multimedia skills, such as video production and editing, or equivalent will be an advantage
•Familiarity with best practices in higher education teaching, learning, and assessment and associated technologies and integrating this information into faculty development and consultation work with university faculty
•Project management skills, including demonstrated competency in both guiding and contributing expertise to interdisciplinary teams
•Experience in designing and delivering workshops & other faculty development events in the IT and ICT areas.
Afghanistan – Kabul: PROVINCIAL CENTER (KABUL)
Masters Degree, Education
Interested national candidates should submit their applications to the Admin/ HR Department of ( HEDP) at the Ministry of Higher Education located in Karta-e-4, MoHE, Kabul, Afghanistan or e-mail their application (indicating in the subject line the Vacancy Announcement number and the title of the post applied to) or contact through cell phone on 0796003037 for clarification.
Please note that applications received after the closing date will not be given consideration. Only short-listed
candidates whose applications correspond to the above criteria will be contacted for an interview.
Female Candidates are highly encouraged to apply.