Higher Education Development Project
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Afghan policy makers perceive higher education as a vital engine of growth and development. The higher education system produces a pool of high level human resources, including policy makers, administrators, managers, entrepreneurs, engineers, medical personnel, highly skilled technicians, as well as qualified teachers and academics, that are essential for economic development. The availability of such a pool of well-educated human resources will be of central importance for the overall future development of the country. Recognizing this, the Government of Afghanistan and the World Bank (WB) have agreed to support the higher education sector through a Higher Education Operation that will succeed the previous Strengthening Higher Education Project (SHEP). The new Higher Education Development Project (HEDP) will support the overall Government’s own effort to expand and strengthen its higher education sector.
The proposed project contains two components: (1) A program component that finances strategic initiatives to develop the higher education sector. The strategic initiatives are (a) increasing participation in universities in priority degree programs for national economic development, (b) modernizing and enhancing the quality and relevance of teaching and learning; (c) expanding the professional qualifications and skills of academic and technical staff; (d) strengthening governance, quality assurance and accreditation; and (e) stimulating development orientated research. And (2) a program operations and technical support component that would support project coordination, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, research activities, human resource development for academic managers and administrative and technical staff, policy studies, beneficiary satisfaction surveys, communications and policy dialogues. The Director of the Operations and Monitoring Support Team (OMST) in the Ministry of Higher Education (MoHE) will coordinate and facilitate the implementation of HEDP in close collaboration with its relevant departments.
Under the general supervision of the Ministry of Higher Education and the OMST Director and Environment and Safeguard Specialist, an Environmental Safeguards Officer will be responsible for the implementation of the Environmental Safeguards and Management Framework (ESMF). He/she will work with the OMST Director and the site engineers to ensure that (a) all parts of the ESMF are properly implemented, (b) project staff are familiar with relevant Afghanistan Laws and Regulations and the relevant World Bank safeguards policies, (c) all relevant environmental and social issues are properly addressed in the preparation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the project, and (d) each subproject has an Environment Safeguards and Management Plan and is properly implemented.
The main duties and responsibilities of the Environmental Safeguards Officer are to:
- Preparing site-specific ESMPs (where needed).
- Ensuring effective integration of environmental considerations into all aspects of identification, consultation, planning and implementation of sub-project activities;
- Advising relevant entities on the environmental implications of safeguard policies of the World Bank and environmental policies of the national government;
- Coordinating, and liaising with, directorate of planning to ensure effective mainstreaming of environmental issues into the implementation of sub-project activities, and facilitating lesson-learning and experience-sharing;
- Ensuring that Sub-project activities are consistent in their approaches to environmental issues, thereby supporting full blending at the operational level;
- Ensuring that environment-related modules are incorporated in the training and capacity building programs designed for the HEDP at all the levels.
- Managing the implementation of all training and awareness raising at project and all sub-projects levels;
- Defining, and subsequently monitoring, suitable environmental indicators for sub-projects and preparing quarterly monitoring reports;
- Providing environmental inputs to monitoring, evaluation, and reporting activities;
- Ensuring regular interaction with the contractors and World Bank Mission on Environmental aspects;
- Certifying that the project sites are properly screened with the relevant ESMF tools and guidelines during project implementation by the project beneficiaries and stakeholders.
- Confirming that the relevant subproject ESMP is properly disclosed, shared and disseminated with the relevant stakeholders.
- Certifying proper implementation of the ESMF and the ESMP by the contractors and monitor the work of the contractors.
- Verifying that the site engineers and stockholders understand that sub-projects must be consistent in their approaches to environmental and social issues and fully in compliance with ESMF and ESMP requirements in all stages of the sub-project.
- Confirming that all Occupational Health and Safety Guidelines are properly implemented.
- Any other related task assigned by supervisor.
The position is for the duration of the project, subject to satisfactory performance. There will be a probation period of three months. Annual performance evaluations will be organized by the Supervisor OMST. Feedback will be obtained from the MoHE for the performance evaluation.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor of Science in environmental science or equivalent qualification with at least 4 years of relevant national experience. Working knowledge of English and good command of national languages (Dari/Pashtu) required.
- Ability to speak, read and write excellent English, produce project reports in English for regular and continuous presentations and computer literate
- Ability to interact with senior academics and administrative staff in the universities
- Ability to work with and be a partner of a team of diverse backgrounds
- Ability to work efficiently and to meet deadlines
- Ability to function effectively in a team environment inspiring trust and cooperation of other team members
- Strong communication, negotiating skills and good interpersonal relations