REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
Country: Islamic Republic of Afghanistan
Name of the Project: Higher Education Development Program (HEDP)
Implementing Agency: Ministry of Higher Education
Grant No: TF 0A0730
Project ID: P146184
Assignment Title Consultancy Services for the Third Party Validation (TPV) of Disbursement Link Indicators (DLIs)
Reference No: HEDP-C3
Contract Type: lump Sum
Duration of Assignment: 3 months
The Ministry of Higher Education of Islamic Republic of Afghanistan has received Grant from the Afghanistan Reconstruction Trust Fund (ARTF) Administered by International Development Association IDA, World Bank and intends to apply part of the grant proceeds to make payment under the contract for the 3rd Validation Party (TPV of Disbursement Link Indicators (DLIs) for the Higher Education Development Program.
According to the World Bank new financing mechanisms, the funding related to some of the activities during the lifespan of Higher Education Development Project is performance-based; they are called disbursement-linked indicators that are the basis for disbursement. With this methodology, the donor does not provide financing to cover a program’s expense. Instead, it disburses money upon the delivery and verification of predefined results. In other words, this mechanism is an innovative lending instrument that ties funding directly to the delivery of results.
The objective of the assignment is to facilitate verification of completion of three DLI activities implemented in the year 2017 by the Higher Education Development Project/Ministry of Higher Education (HEDP/MoHE) through a technical and third-party validation. The verification will be based on the specific parameters defined under verification protocol by Higher Education Development PAD, Grant Agreement and Project Implementation Manual (PIM) to ascertain compliance. This consultancy shall require close interaction with MOHE and the relevant public universities at the national level.
Scope of Work:
The scope and extent of the TPV are to verify and validate the completion and achievement of three Disbursement Linked Indicators (DLIs) in the year 2017 and submit a verification report by 31 May 2018.
Third Party Verification Firm Terms of Reference
The consulting firm shall;
- Review the compliance by the Higher Education Development Project (HEDP) on three Disbursement Linked Indicators (DLIs), some implemented in provinces.
- Verify and validate as per guidelines and procedures agreed on the Female enrollment in priority degree programs in the 1st year of public universities to be equal or above 4500 students by December 21, 2017.
- Verify and validate as per guidelines and procedures agreed on the completion of new and functional ICT centers in 4 Universities by December 21, 2017.
- Verify and validate as per guidelines and procedures agreed on the completion of Internal Quality Assurance Units functioning in accordance with the scorecard in 8 Universities by December 21, 2017.
- Present the draft verification report for review and feedback by the MOHE and World Bank by January 21, 2018.
- Provide the final verification report incorporating feedback from the MOHE and the World Bank by February 28, 2018.
Qualification criteria of the Consultancy Firm:
- A record of minimum 3 years of experience in Afghanistan in consultancy services in fields such as economics, education, engineering, natural sciences, mathematics, statistics, social sciences or management.
- Demonstrate experience with World Bank or other donor supported projects in areas of program evaluation.
- The firm would need to source:
- A team leader with experience of evaluations/validations studies.
- A team member with skills in quality assurance of universities.
- A team member with skills in the use of ICT in higher education.
Ministry of Higher Education now invites eligible consultants (Consulting Firms) to indicate their interest in providing the services. Interested consultants must provide information as below indicating that they are qualified to perform the services; interested consultants must provide information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services (brochures, description of similar assignments, experience in similar conditions, availability of appropriate skills among staff, etc.).
The attention of interested Consultancy firms are drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grants by World Bank Borrowers current edition (“Consultant Guidelines”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
Consultancy firms may NOT associate with other firms in the form of a joint venture or a sub-consultancy for this assignment.
A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the selection based on the consultants qualification (CQS) procedures set out in the World Bank’s Guidelines selection and employment of consultants under IBRD loans and IDA credits and Grants by World Bank Borrowers-Jan, 2011”. The Guidelines are available at www.worldbank.org/procure.
Interested Consultancy Firms may obtain further information at the addresses as given below during office hours from 09:00 to 16:00 hours Saturday through Wednesday.
Expressions of interest must be delivered in a written form to the address below (in person, or by e-mail) by February 10, 2018 at 14:00.
Ministry of Higher Education
Higher Education Development Program
Hamed Babak, Procurement Officer
Kart-e-Char, Kabul, Afghanistan
Cell: +93 786 140 131