REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
Country: Islamic Republic of Afghanistan
Name of the Project: Higher Education Development Program (HEDP)
Implementing Agency: Ministry of Higher Education
Grant No: TF 0A0730
Project ID: P146184
Assignment Title Consultancy Services for the Design & develop of an online database for Statistics and Database of Policy and Planning Directorate
Reference No: HEDP-C-5
The Ministry of Higher Education of Islamic Republic of Afghanistan has received Grant from the Afghanistan Reconstruction Trust Fund (ARTF) Administered by International Development Association IDA, World Bank and intends to apply part of the grant proceeds to make payment under the contract for the Design & develop of an online database for Statistics and Database of Policy and Planning Directorate.
The specific objectives of the proposed consultancy are to:
- Develop, operationalize, implement and maintain a database for collecting and recording of accurate data from all higher education sectors’ activities in a systematic way.
- Strengthen the capacity of the Database Department’s staff in data collection, verification, data storing and management, and data analysis.
Scope of Work:
The database consulting firm would be required to work with MoHE/ Statistic Department to successfully develop and deliver a database, train the staff, and utilize the database.
- Database Requirement Specification
- Assessment of existing platforms at Statistic Department
- Assessment of Capacity of the staff
- Assessment of required hardware, software and other miscellaneous department requirement to fully utilize the database
- Database administrators and users should be able to easily manage and catalog the submitted and verified data
- Design of a database for Statistic Department for the collection of the following data of Academics, Administrative staff, Students, Students in Hostels, Students receiving stipend, Disabled Students, drop-out students, graduated students
– Educational Degree
– And, physical facilities (infrastructure) of each university as (number of lecture blocks, number of classrooms, hostels, laboratories, libraries, administrative block, academic offices, facilities and any other related data)
- Develop standardized procedures to maintain the database for minimum 6 months
- Ensure accurate recording of data receiving from all the universities into database
- The database shall be hosted both online and locally and both database should be synchronized
- Ensure database security and authentication by implementing secure authentication and user and user-permission management
- The database shall feature role-based authentication and shall provide access to different sections of the database based on specified role
- The database shall feature data analytics through visual dashboards where collected information is automatically visualized through charts
- The database shall feature data import functionality to import data from to the database
- Online database user should be able to add/remove/update/delete fields of different datasets through application
- Online database shall feature simple workflow for data verification and shall have three
- The database shall enable user with provided privileges to verify the data and unverified data shall not appear in analytics
- End users should be able to query both verified and unverified data with basic filters, for example, retrieve a list of all female students in Kabul-based universities enrolled in priority disciplines and generate graphics (charts).
- Database shall allow users with assigned privileges to export data to other usable formats such as spreadsheet (CSV, XLS), PDF reports and generate graphics (charts)
- Design and development of the system must adhere to modern best practices of software systems. It must be secure, scalable and high performance
- The database shall provide user interface in two language (English and Dari) and users shall be able generate and export data in both languages
- The proposed system must be designed using open-source technologies including server-side and client-side technologies
- Training and Capacity Building
- Provide training to enhance the capacity of the participants in data collection, verification, data storing and management, and data analysis,
- Develop training materials based on the assessments.
- Provide training on the functional as well as technical aspects of the developed database
- Develop a user and technical manual for the designed database
- Online Hosting specification
- The contract firm shall provide online hosting of virtual private server for one year including maintenance
- Statistics and Database department shall have sole ownership of the server after database deployment and will provide limited access to contractor if required.
- Virtual private server shall have the following minimum features:
– 2GB Memory, 2 Core v Processor, 40GB SSD disk and 3TB monthly transfer
Qualifications Criteria of the Consultancy Firm:
- A record of minimum 5 years of experience in Afghanistan in consultancy services in the field of developing Database and web applications
- Experience of designing and managing the database for minimum 4 projects with providing references
- Experience in at least one modern object-oriented programming language
- Proven record of financial and institutional reliability of the firm.
Ministry of Higher Education now invites eligible consultants (consulting firms) to indicate their interest in providing the services. Interested consultants must provide information as below indicating that they are qualified to perform the services; interested consultants must provide information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services (brochures, description of similar assignments, experience in similar conditions, availability of appropriate skills among staff, etc.). Consultants may associate to enhance their qualifications.
Protocol and comes with a predefined amount that will be released once the indicator is achieved.
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grants by World Bank Borrowers current edition (“Consultant Guidelines”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
Consultants may associate with other firms in the form of a joint venture or a sub-consultancy to enhance their qualifications.
A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the selection based on the consultants qualification (CQS) procedures set out in the World Bank’s Guidelines selection and employment of consultants under IBRD loans and IDA credits and Grants by World Bank Borrowers-Jan, 2011”. The Guidelines are available at www.worldbank.org/procure.
Interested Consultancy Firms may obtain further information at the addresses as given below during office hours from 09:00 to 16:00 hours Saturday through Wednesday.
Expressions of interest must be delivered in a written form to the address below (in person, or by e-mail) by 30, June, 2018 at 14:00 local time.
Ministry of Higher Education
Higher Education Development Program
Hamed Babak, Procurement Officer
Kart-e-Char, Kabul, Afghanistan
Cell: +93 786 140 131