Reflection on OBE-SCL workshop
The grounding for the advanced OBE, SCL and Blended Learning workshop in UTM, perhaps tied with my primarily participation on OBE and SCL workshop which conducted in Said Jamal Uddin Afghani Kunner University I believe that was the icon of my faith which shaped here. Similarly, writing the Teaching Portfolio was the other vital step for selection in HEDP which obviously done by Mr. Habibi. Then, I am interviewed by the HEDP Senior Training Manager for further qualification and checking my English proficiency and Teaching Groundings. Finally, i could take as qualified training candidate to go to Johor Bahru, Malaysia.
Indeed, I did not know the major concepts of OBE and SCL before attending the Advanced OBE and SCL workshop in Said Jamal Uddin Afghani Kunner University from 17.02.2018 to 28.02.2018. after attending this workshop, I got primary knowledge about Advance OBE-SCL program then, I implemented teaching and learning activities in statistical methods such as group work, pair works, presentation and some other informal cooperative activities. I have understood now, what OBE is and its genuine essence and nature and how it can be implemented effectively with consideration to environmental factors, needs, levels and interests of our students.
I distinguished some of the concepts and notions at surface level such as: OBE and its common interpretation, SCL activities, Constructive Alignment, Zone of Proximal Development, Learning styles and etc.
I really had problem with Program Educational Objectives, Program Outcomes and Course Outcomes mapping and their alignment with instruction and assessment. It must be also said that I personally faced with some confusion in some of the PPTs and slides that covered by some of the professors at UTM but hopefully, I have overcome them thorough asking for further clarification regarding the ambiguous concepts from the concerned professors at tea breaks and in another spare times. Finally, let it be said that through colleagues’ contribution and professors’ further elaboration to many unknown or confused concepts, certainly helped me to be cleared enough.
In case of resources, I used my personal laptop, the four books of OBE and SCL, notebook, slide shares from Google in relation to OBE and SCL, and also utilized from our colleagues’ and Malaysian Champions’ experiences, ideas, understandings and PPTs and slide shares.
I am sure that through effective implementation and long-term support of OBE and SCL I will ascertain my feeling and attitude regarding OBE and SCL and Blended Learning as well.
Constructive Alignment sounds really good and meaningful to me because the very pathway and roadmap for our progress and meeting the demand of job market will be insured through constructive alignment. If I am not exaggerating, it must be said CQI grantees the future of our good learners.
I am impressed by ILS which I just started working with my students that what kind of learners are they. And what should be done in advance in order to balance the learning level and draw parallel among all four common types of learning styles.
Malaysian professors’ attitude towards Afghans and Afghan champions really made me satisfied. As far as the fact concerns, the workshop changed my view to look to teaching, learning and assessment from a more constructive and aligned dimension.
In fact, the workshop was a significant motive for me to go shoulder by shoulder with contemporary educational technology and methodology in which we are compelled to be updated and tentative in terms of designing curriculum and delivery of the activity.
The main goals for attending the OBE and SCL workshop were:
- To becomegood champion(in order to develop curriculum in the light of OBE and SCL).
- To utilizefrom oversea professors’ and champions’ experiences, understandings and impressions in relation to the contemporary approaches and educational systems.
- To changethe current outdated teaching and learning approaches which sovereign in Higher Education of Afghanistan, to be a good lecturer and etc.
- To enhance, update, and tentatively move forward in the realm of higher education and teaching learning process. I as a lecturer have a lot ahead to do in order to implement OBE and SCL effectively in my country and particularly in my university. As a lecturer, I shall regularly conduct researches in terms of updating and redefining the process of learning.
The Advanced Workshop helped me to redefine many core concepts of teaching and assessment from a contemporary attitude. For instance,
- Outcome is determined with a clear picture of what is important for students.
- Teaching and learning activities should activate action verb which are used in intended outcomes.
- Throughout workshop student introduced to the importance of assessment in OBE & how to effectively align to the curriculum, beside it discussed the importance & methods of implementation of continuous quality improvement as one of the essential part of OBE.
- Presented different type & stage of assessment methods that could be employed.
- Assessment should provide feedback to students whether the intended outcome achieved or not?
- Identified informal cooperative learning structure contains activity that can be used to engage all students during class session, formal cooperative learning & three pillars of CL, Book- end division approach, index of learning style model and so on.
- Studied the principles for design of effective learning environment such as Branford’s (how people learn framework) & Bigg’s (constructive alignment).
- If outcome is cognitive therefore, the teaching and learning activities should also be matched with that it should not be cover activities that consider on psychomotor domain.
- My understanding and realization of Constructive Alignment, CQI, PEO, PO, CO and ZPD changed constructively. (PEO, PO, CO, CQI and mapping all of them).
- For writing an outcome the Audience (A), Behavior(B), Condition(C) and Degree(D) or ABCD model should be considered as an example: The students(A) should be able to orally(c) explain(B) the two(D) branch of statistics in the class. For a specific and measurable outcome, the learning domains and the level of expectation (Bloom Taxonomy) should be considered.
- During workshop formal cooperative learning activity, Jegsaw’s activity and informal cooperative learning activity like think-pair-share were utilized.
I found advance OBE and SCL workshop one of the meaningful and constructive events of my life because it honestly helped me to view teaching and learning from a different and very positive perspective. In terms of effective implementation of OBE and SCL, I would like to say that I have been started implementation of OBE and SCL just by my arrival and joining my classes. In addition, let it be noted that I putted dot to lecture method and the rest teacher-centered methods and techniques which I have been used. Therefore, I alternatively used OBE and SCL in my own classed and I found the mentioned approach interactive and students welcomed it.
Inshallah, I will support and cultivate OBE and SCL through conducting research in the regard and holding workshops at faculty and university level. Moreover, it is also mentionable that through actual performance in my classes in the light of OBE and SCL, I can also change the stereotyped mindset about OBE and SCL implementation.
As I clearly advocated OBE and SCL as the modern approach to substitute the conventional approach and certainly will have meaningful impact on the process of learning and teaching. Also, I will also discuss and convince them based on my actual results and improvements which are indebted of implementation of OBE and SCL in the course of classroom performance.
I think, the advance workshop can be institutionalized if the Ministry of Higher Education completely supports the notion of OBE and SCL through financial and academic support in terms of conducting researches by the champions and holding conferences and trainings about OBE and SCL. In addition, I can also dare to expect that Ministry of Higher Education can coordinate and invest on champions in national level in order to substitute OBE, SCL instead of traditional approaches.