Since September 2015, the Higher Education Development Project team has been actively engaged in implementation of the plans and achievements of predefined targets to increase access to, and improve the quality and relevance of higher education in Afghanistan.
The HEDP supports the National Higher Education Strategy Plan-II 2015-2020, which aims to develop the higher education sector by expanding enrollment, improving quality, and orienting higher education to promote the future economic and social development of Afghanistan.
The Higher Education Development Project’s main activities are comprised of the followings:
- Expanding enrollment in priority degree programs, especially for female, through providing scholarships, strengthening orientations, improving transportation services, and online higher education.
- Increasing the number of universities to develop, implement and monitor a five years Strategic Institutional Development Plan consistent with NHESP, and an Annual Progress Report. This allows universities to have long term vision, exercise autonomy, and be accountable.
- Increasing the qualifications of University full-time faculty members by offering at least 300 Masters scholarships in priority degree programs, over the project implementation period. Training 600 university technical staff in short term technical courses and 500 University senior managerial and administrative staff completing short term leadership and management courses by the end of the project in 2020.
- Training 1000 academic staff in practicing outcome based education and student centered learning by end of the project, while aligning OBE and SCL with current international trends in higher education. Developing an OBE-SCL manual in English and both national languages.
- Increasing the use of ICT and internet-based resources in the universities; equipping 12 universities with new functional ICT centers for ICT Based higher education by end of project in 2020. Developing a manual for the basics of ICT to be taught at the ICT centers.
- Expanding quality assurance and accreditation to strengthen and reflect the international standards of rigor in Afghanistan. The Quality Assurance and Accreditation Directorate at national level and Internal Quality Assurance Units at University level assist in enhancing the quality of the universities as well as the implementation of OBE-SCL methodologies. MoHE’s membership of Asia Pacific Quality Network helps MoHE to benefit from international good practices.
- Promoting the culture of research, the project provide assistance in implementing group and individual research projects among academics mainly in priority disciplines. The project aims to implement 40 group and 80 individual research project by 2020.